Monday, April 29, 2013

Week One Day 4

As you look at your life, how would you say that your love for God is shown in your actions? (If you are having trouble coming up with an answer, take some time to think through some changes you may need to make in your lifestyle.)

Matthew 22:37-40: "And He said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all you heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.  This is the great and foremost commandment.  The second is like it, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

    Today's topic was about love.  Love for God.  And love for your "neighbors." It is important to love those around us, because this shows love for God.  We also show love by keeping his commandments.  I would say that I show love for God through my actions in a variety of ways.  The first is by directly loving my neighbors.  I have the pleasure of living in a fraternity.  With 48 young men.  This isn't always the easiest job, but I have to responsibility of looking out for them.  This job would be a lot easier if I didn't care about them.  Coming and going as I want, and not investing in their daily lives.  Helping them to grow and develop.
    The second way is at work.  I manage a bar/restaurant/casino/bowling alley and I have to know a lot of different things.  Being a college town, we get a lot of untrained workers.  And it usually falls on me to train them.  Rather than just let them try and figure it out on their own, I take a vested interest in them.  Trying to help them become better at their job, teach them actual skills, and prepare them for the future.
    Finally, I show love for others at the gym.  I, like most people, value my workout time.  But.  I can't be self absorbed at the gym.  I am always willing to offer a spot to lifters, even when they don't realize they will need one.  Gotta keep the head on the swivel.

No comments:

Post a Comment